Arizona's Eaton activated, bats leadoff vs Dodgers
PHOENIX -- The Arizona Diamondbacks have activated Adam Eaton from the disabled list, and Kirk Gibson immediately put the center fielder in the leadoff spot for Tuesday night's game against the Los Angeles Dodgers.
The rookie had been projected as the team's leadoff batter this spring but he was sidelined by a strained left elbow. His return was slowed when he reinjured the elbow and had to go through the rehabilitation process again.
Eaton hit .256 with five doubles, 13 RBIs and two home runs and eight stolen bases in 26 minor league rehab games.
To make room on the roster, the Diamondbacks optioned right-handed reliever Charles Brewer to Triple-A Reno.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Verlander allows one hit in 1st spring start
- MRI shows ligament injury in Medlen's elbow
- 'Nervous' Bonds back with Giants in new role
- 'Intrigued' Skeeters invite McGrady to camp
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Little Earth Los Angeles Dodgers Cross-Body Royal Sheen Purse