Twins trade catcher Drew Butera to Dodgers
The deal was done right before the non-waiver trade deadline on Wednesday afternoon.
Butera was the backup to Joe Mauer for most of the last three seasons, but he has spent all but the last week with Triple-A Rochester this year. When Mauer was out on paternity leave, Butera appeared in two games.
Butera, who will turn 30 on Aug. 9, missed time because of a broken left hand earlier in the season and was hitting .229 in 83 at-bats for the Red Wings. Defense has always been his strength. In 490 career at-bats for the Twins, Butera has a .182 batting average with five home runs.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Agent: Dodgers don't plan to trade Kemp
- Trumbo heads to D-backs in 3-team trade
- Mulder, out since 2009, attempts comeback
- GM: Cabrera on target for spring training
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Women's Minnesota Twins League Diva Navy/Red Fashion Top