Cain goes on disabled list with injured forearm
Cain departed in the fourth inning of a 10-5 loss to the Pirates on Thursday. X-rays on Cain's bruised forearm were negative.
He was hit when Sanchez led off the fourth with a groundout. Trainer Dave Groeschner and manager Bruce Bochy hustled out to check on the pitcher, who walked off the mound on his own moments later.
Cain allowed three runs and seven hits in 3 1-3 innings. With the Giants out of the playoff race, there will be no reason to rush Cain back.
He is 8-8 with a 4.43 ERA this season in 26 starts over 156 1-3 innings.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Report: Boston, Ramirez finalizing $90M deal
- Free-agent Sandoval to pick team next week
- Sources: White Sox snag LaRoche for $25M
- Ibanez among 3 finalists for Rays manager
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Pittsburgh Pirates Authentic Collection Black Performance Hoodie