Indians trot out a chicken during batting practice
Pitcher Justin Masterson carried a live chicken on to the field for the team's pregame drills. The bird, supplied by one of the Indians' clubhouse workers from an area farm, spent most of batting practice standing with Cleveland's pitchers in front of the warning track in center field.
The chicken, unfazed by its surroundings, stood calmly on the field while balls hit during batting practice fell nearby. Several curious players came by to observe the chicken, which was picked up by pitchers Cody Allen and Rich Hill and then carried off the field when the drills concluded.
The chicken was a gift to Allen, and has been given the name "Cody."
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- HOF Schmidt recovering from skin cancer
- Orioles' Machado: Don't know about opener
- Source: Tigers' Iglesias to sit out until break
- D-backs' Corbin exits start with tight forearm
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Replica Cleveland Indians Justin Masterson #63 Alternate Ivory Jersey