Cardinals' Craig leaves game with sprained foot
CINCINNATI -- Cardinals first baseman Allen Craig sprained his left foot while rounding first base and left the game in the fourth inning on Wednesday night.
Craig hit a grounder to Reds first baseman Joey Votto, who threw too high to pitcher Bronson Arroyo covering the base. Craig twisted his foot and ankle while rounding the base and fell hard, allowing the Reds to retrieve the ball and tag him out while he was still down.
He walked off slowly. Matt Adams replaced him in the field. Craig will be re-evaluated on Thursday.
The Cardinals have been bothered by nagging injuries while losing five of their last six games. Right fielder Carlos Beltran missed two games with a stiff back, and catcher Yadier Molina left one game with a sore left wrist.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Braves suspend struggling Uggla for 1 game
- Wright to get shot to aid shoulder at break
- Reds' Simon among 4 pitchers added to ASG
- Grand record: batterymates slam for S.F.
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Youth Authentic Cincinnati Reds Joey Votto #19 Cool Base Batting Practice Jersey