Another Detroit pitcher starts off with blanks
Scherzer had a no-hitter until Shane Victorino singled with two outs in the sixth. It was the third straight playoff game in which the Tigers starter had a no-hitter after five.
Justin Verlander took a no-hitter into the seventh inning in the finale of the AL division series against Oakland on Thursday. In Game 1 of the ALCS, Anibal Sanchez left the game after six innings with a no-hitter intact. Three relievers stretched it into the ninth before Daniel Nava got Boston's only hit with two outs to go.
Scherzer, the likely AL Cy Young winner, struck out 11 through six innings.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Braves suspend struggling Uggla for 1 game
- Wright to get shot to aid shoulder at break
- Reds' Simon among 4 pitchers added to ASG
- Grand record: batterymates slam for S.F.
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Youth Detroit Tigers Max Scherzer #37 Navy T-Shirt