Orioles 3B Machado undergoes surgery on knee
BALTIMORE -- Orioles third baseman Manny Machado has undergone surgery to repair a torn ligament in his left knee.
Monday's operation was performed in California by Dr. Neal ElAttrache, according to the team.
The 75-minute procedure included an arthroscopy and open reconstruction of the medial patellar femoral ligament. A hamstring tendon was used to graft a replacement for the ruptured ligament.
Recovery time is estimated to be around six months.
The 21-year-old Machado played in every game this season before the injury, which occurred on Sept. 23 when he stepped awkwardly on first base in a game at Tampa Bay.
A first-time All-Star this season, Machado hit .283 with 14 homers, 71 RBIs and 51 doubles.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Phils' Rollins: No idea why I'm benched
- Twins' Sano optimistic on return after surgery
- Indians' Giambi out 3-4 weeks with broken rib
- Braves add Ervin Santana to bolster rotation
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Extended Sizes - Majestic Men's Authentic Baltimore Orioles J.J. Hardy #2 Cool Base Alternate Black Jersey w/ Patch