Tigers pull beat-up Avila in 4th against Red Sox
Brayan Pena pinch hit for Avila in the 4th inning Thursday night. With Detroit trailing by four runs, Pena grounded into an inning-ending double play with two on in the first postseason at-bat of his nine-year career.
Avila was run over by fellow catcher David Ross on a play at the plate in the second. Ross lowered his right shoulder as he delivered a blow to Avila's head. Avila held onto the ball for the out.
Ross fouled off a pitch the next inning that knocked Avila's mask off.
Avila was out for more than two weeks in August because of a concussion.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Sources: Rangers to sign Choo for $130M
- O's not signing Balfour, cite physical results
- Alleged kidnapping of Rangers' Martin detailed
- Youkilis will play 'one more year' -- in Japan
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Youth Detroit Tigers Opening Series Grey Long Sleeve Shirt