A's right-hander Sonny Gray has left thumb surgery
The procedure Thursday was performed by Dr. Thomas Graham at the Cleveland Clinic Hospital. Gray had a screw inserted to repair a fracture, which Gray sustained on a comebacker from Detroit's Prince Fielder in Oakland's Game 5 division series loss Oct. 10.
The A's say Gray now has full stability in his thumb and he is expected to be fully recovered in time for spring training come February.
Gray went 5-3 with a 2.67 ERA in 12 games and 10 starts this year. He pitched eight scoreless innings in a Game 2 no-decision in which he matched Tigers ace Justin Verlander in a sensational pitcher's duel on Oct. 5.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Yankees get 3B Headley in trade with Padres
- Angels won't limit ace Richards' workload
- Cubs DFA Barney, activate Bonifacio off DL
- Indians recall Salazar to start against Twins
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Youth Texas Rangers Prince Fielder #84 Red T-Shirt