Rockies reliever Betancourt becomes free agent
Betancourt was 2-5 with a 4.08 ERA and 16 saves for the Rockies last season before tearing a ligament in his pitching elbow. He considered undergoing platelet-rich plasma therapy to fix his arm, but announced in August his decision to have Tommy John surgery.
The 38-year-old Betancourt spent parts of five seasons with the Rockies after being acquired from the Cleveland Indians in 2009. He had 31 saves for Colorado in 2012.
Betancourt will receive a $250,000 buyout.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Nationals' Harper benched for 'lack of hustle'
- Scherzer tops Angels for 1st win of season
- Hamels slated to make season debut in L.A.
- Jays shut out Indians, Buehrle still unbeaten
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Antigua Men's Colorado Rockies Full-Zip Silver Ice Jacket