Cardinals decline option on Jake Westbrook
ST. LOUIS -- The St. Louis Cardinals declined their $9.5 million option for next season on pitcher Jake Westbrook, who was not on their postseason roster after battling elbow and back injuries much of the year.
The 36-year-old Westbrook, who was 7-8 with a 4.63 ERA, gets a $1 million buyout.
The sinkerballer appeared in 21 games, all but two of them starts. He was barely used late in the year and got the start in the season finale as a nod to his contributions, working one scoreless inning.
Westbrook is 105-103 for his career. He was 36-32 with a 4.27 ERA in three-plus seasons with St. Louis.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Cubs not sure when ailing Castro will return
- Garza goal: Kick Cubs' 'teeth in every time'
- Twins lock up closer Perkins on 4-year deal
- Boras: Morales, Drew willing to wait for deals
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Replica St. Louis Cardinals Allen Craig #21 Home White Jersey