Rivers decides to give Pierce a night off
The decision to sit the 35-year-old Pierce comes with Boston preparing for its ninth road game in the last 11 games.
Jeff Green gets the start against the NBA-worst Bobcats (13-50).
Rivers says he pondered sitting Pierce, Garnett or Jason Terry while on the flight to Charlotte from Oklahoma City. He chose Pierce.
Rivers laughed when he said "I don't get a lot of kickback right now when I say I'm sitting one of them."
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Cavs' James after loss: 'Not a very good team'
- Nowitzki keys Mavs' rally to put away Thunder
- Suns spoil Kobe's return for 6th straight win
- Spurs win to snap 6-game skid vs. Rockets
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Vintage Dirk Delivers For Mavs
- Starting at center for an injured Tyson Chandler, Dirk Nowitzki dropped 30 on OKC as the Mavs held on.