Jazz draft Dieng No. 21 for Wolves
MINNEAPOLIS -- The Utah Jazz have drafted Louisville center Gorgui Dieng with the 21st overall pick in the first round of the NBA draft and plan to trade him to Minnesota as part of a package for Trey Burke.
A person with knowledge of the deal tells The Associated Press that the Jazz sent pick Nos. 14 and 21 to Minnesota for Burke, the Michigan point guard who was taken No. 9. The Jazz took UCLA swingman Shabazz Muhammad at No. 14 for Minnesota before grabbing Dieng.
Dieng will give the Timberwolves a shot-blocking specialist in the paint that their frontcourt currently lacks.
The 6-foot-11 Dieng averaged 9.8 points and 2.5 blocks for the Cardinals last season.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Aldridge's 46 lead Blazers by Rockets in OT
- Heat use late charge, top Bobcats in Game 1
- Nene, Wiz rally past Bulls for Game 1 victory
- Duncan, Spurs rally past Mavs in Game 1
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Women's Minnesota Timberwolves Courtside Tri-Blend Black Full-Zip Hoodie