Top Mavs pick Larkin has surgery on broken ankle
DALLAS -- Mavericks rookie guard Shane Larkin has undergone surgery to repair his broken right ankle.
The team says Drs. T.O. Souryal and Richard Levy performed the surgery at Texas Sports Medicine in Dallas on Tuesday. Recovery time is expected to be about three months.
The former Miami point guard was the 18th pick in last month's draft. He was injured Friday in the last practice before the team flew to Las Vegas for summer league games.
The son of Hall of Fame shortstop Barry Larkin is expected to battle for the backup job behind Jose Calderon, who signed with Dallas as a free agent.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Cavs' James after loss: 'Not a very good team'
- Nowitzki keys Mavs' rally to put away Thunder
- KG pulls a Stephenson, blows in West's ear
- Melo out at Portland with lingering sore knee
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Vintage Dirk Delivers For Mavs
- Starting at center for an injured Tyson Chandler, Dirk Nowitzki dropped 30 on OKC as the Mavs held on.