Mavs' Nowitzki passes Jerry West on scoring list
Nowitzki made consecutive 3-pointers Tuesday night against Washington to reach 25,194 points, two ahead of West.
The 11-time All-Star and 2007 MVP was struggling from the field before a loose ball bounced to him above the key. He grabbed it, turned and hit a shot to get within a point of West's record.
On Dallas' next possession, Gal Mekel passed to Nowitzki a few feet left of the previous spot, and Nowitzki pulled up and hit another from long range. The bucket that put him ahead of West gave him 16 points for the game.
Reggie Miller is 15th on the scoring list with 25,279 points.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Durant lauds LeBron's move, unsure of own
- Boeheim calls Rose 'most impressive' player
- Lakers greats hail 'right guy' Scott as coach
- Judge rules for S. Sterling in sale of Clippers
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Men's Dallas Mavericks Dirk Nowitzki #41 Revolution 30 Replica Light Royal Basketball Jersey