Kansas freshman Peters out with shoulder injury
LAWRENCE, Kan. -- Kansas forward Zach Peters will miss about a month of practice and games after an injury to the rotator cuff in his left surgery.
Coach Bill Self said Thursday that Peters' injury will not require surgery, but the freshman will be held out of contact. Self characterized it as a "nagging injury that has been bothering over time that has affected his ability to play on the court."
The 6-foot-9 Peters is among several players who will try to fill the void left by All-American Thomas Robinson, who declared for the NBA draft after his junior season.
The Jayhawks, who were picked to win the Big 12 in a poll of coaches earlier Thursday, officially open practice Friday with the annual "Late Night in the Phog."
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Wichita State reaches 34-0, wins MVC final
- Fond farewell: Terps stun Virginia in ACC finale
- Nebraska upsets ninth-ranked Wisconsin
- Cuse closes regular season with rout of FSU
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Men's Kansas Jayhawks #15 Blue Replica Basketball Jersey