No. 1 Indiana loses Etherington for season
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- No. 1 Indiana has lost sophomore forward Austin Etherington for the rest of the season because of a fractured left kneecap.
Etherington was hurt late in the first half of Saturday night's 100-69 victory over Central Connecticut State. After being called for a foul on the play, he stayed on the ground and was surrounded by teammates and coaches. He was lifted onto a stretcher and pointed to the crowd as he was wheeled off the court.
On Sunday, the team said Etherington had season-ending surgery.
Etherington's playing time had steadily increased as the Hoosiers (9-0) moved through the nonconference schedule.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Butler's Etherington (foot) to miss 3-4 months
- NCAA president calls for 'scholarships for life'
- Rick Pitino: 'Passion, enthusiasm' still high
- College of Charleston's Wojcik not recruiting
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Toddler Indiana Hoosiers Candy Stripe Basketball Warm-Up Pants