UNC suspends G McDonald for 3 games
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. -- North Carolina has suspended guard Leslie McDonald for three games.
The specific reason for the suspension was not disclosed in a statement issued Wednesday, roughly five hours before the Tar Heels' game against Georgia Tech.
Coach Roy Williams says McDonald "did not do what we expect of our student-athletes," and McDonald says he did not take care of his responsibilities as a student-athlete.
McDonald missed the past three games with an injured right knee. Williams says the junior guard would have been medically cleared to return this week.
The school says McDonald will return Feb. 2 when UNC plays Virginia Tech.
He missed all of last season with a right knee injury and is averaging 8.4 points this season while shooting 43 percent from 3-point range.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- No. 26 prospect Smith gives verbal to Arizona
- Butler's Etherington (foot) to miss 3-4 months
- NCAA president calls for 'scholarships for life'
- Rick Pitino: 'Passion, enthusiasm' still high
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Jordan Men's North Carolina Tar Heels Carolina Blue 'Chapel Skill' Selection Basketball T-Shirt