Steve Lavin misses game due to death of father
SYRACUSE, N.Y. -- St. John's played Sunday's game against Syracuse without head coach Steve Lavin after the overnight death of his father.
Lavin's 82-year-old father, Cap, died during the night and Lavin left Syracuse Sunday morning, according to St. John's spokesman Mark Fratto. Cap Lavin had been under hospice care in California.
Lavin told his staff around 9 a.m. and flew to New York City. Assistant coach Rico Hines was to coach the Red Storm against the Orange.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- NCAA president: Pay-for-play isn't coming
- NCAA may work with power 5 conferences
- Smith, Ohio State cruise to rout of Bryant
- Wisconsin now 11-0 with win vs. Milwaukee
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Youth Syracuse Orange Replica Orange Basketball Shorts