Ex-Ga Tech F Royal will transfer to George Mason
FAIRFAX, Va. -- Former Georgia Tech forward Julian Royal is transferring to George Mason.
George Mason announced Friday that the 6-foot-8 Royal will sit out the upcoming season and then have two years of eligibility.
Royal said in March he was leaving Georgia Tech after averaging only 6.6 minutes and 1.7 points in 24 games as a sophomore. His playing time was limited due in part to the emergence of freshman Robert Carter Jr.
Royal averaged 4.4 points per game as a freshman during the 2011-12 season.
Georgia Tech is also losing junior guard Brandon Reed, who announced Friday that he plans to transfer to another school to complete his eligibility.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Florida, Wichita St. remain 1-2; UK falls out
- Self 'confident' Embiid will play despite back
- Gators' Donovan harps on quick turnaround
- Players support South Carolina coach Martin
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Rawlings Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets Softee Slam Dunk Hoop Set