Auburn dismisses Shaq Johnson from basketball team
AUBURN, Ala. -- Auburn has dismissed guard Shaq Johnson from the basketball team for violating unspecified team rules.
Coach Tony Barbee announced the sophomore's dismissal on Thursday. Barbee says he is "very disappointed in Shaq's choices and actions, and they won't be tolerated."
He says the dismissal "is in the best interest of both the program and the student-athlete."
Johnson played in all 32 games as a freshman and started 21. He averaged 6.2 points in Southeastern Conference games and played 18 minutes a game.
Fellow freshmen Brian Greene Jr. and Jordan Price have already left the team since last season, when the Tigers went 9-23.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- UNC inviting athletes back to finish degrees
- Ex-Baylor star Austin: NBA offered job too
- C-USA chief: 'Second 5' will still be relevant
- Source: Mudiay signs deal to play in China
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Rawlings Auburn Tigers Full-Size Crossover Basketball