Minnesota suspends Maurice Walker for 6 games
MINNEAPOLIS -- Minnesota center Maurice Walker has been suspended for six games for a violation of university policy.
The Golden Gophers made the announcement on Friday, a few hours before they opened the season against Lehigh. The Gophers did not specify which policies were broken.
It's a big setback for Walker, who worked hard in the summer to drop weight and get into new coach Richard Pitino's good graces. When Pitino was hired to bring his up-tempo style to Minnesota, the 310-pound Walker figured to have a hard time fitting in.
But Walker changed his diet and threw himself into grueling workouts to drop more than 60 pounds. Walker won't be eligible to rejoin the team until the second game of the Maui Invitational on Nov. 26.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- UNC inviting athletes back to finish degrees
- Ex-Baylor star Austin: NBA offered job too
- C-USA chief: 'Second 5' will still be relevant
- Source: Mudiay signs deal to play in China
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Blue 84 Men's Minnesota Golden Gophers Gold NCAA Men's 2014 NIT Champions T-Shirt