Prosecutor: Sex investigation of FSU QB over

Updated: December 4, 2013, 5:46 PM ET
Associated Press

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- The prosecutor overseeing the investigation of sexual assault allegations against Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston says it is completed.

State Attorney Willie Meggs has scheduled a news conference at 2 p.m. Thursday in his office to announce his findings.

Meggs says investigators have learned as much as they can about the December 2012 incident.

"We think we have exhausted all investigative tools," Meggs said.

Winston has led the Seminoles to the No. 1 ranking, and they'll play for a conference title Saturday, with a shot at the national crown. The quarterback also is the leading candidate for the Heisman, and many voters are waiting to see whether Winston will be charged with a crime before casting their ballots. The deadline for Heisman ballots to be turned in is Dec. 9.

ESPN has previously reported that DNA belonging to Winston was found in the underwear of the accuser. A lawyer for Winston has suggested that the star quarterback and the accuser had consensual sex. But the family of the victim has accused the 19-year-old of rape.

Meggs has said he wanted to make sure prosecutors completed a thorough investigation before making a final decision. He has also said several times that it's up to prosecutors to determine whether there is a "reasonable" chance of conviction.

Timothy Jansen, the attorney representing Winston, said he does not know what Meggs will announce.

"We're hoping and waiting like everyone else, and we believe the evidence will exonerate Mr. Winston," Jansen said.


Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press

This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index

Comments

Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, photo & other personal information you make public on Facebook will appear with your comment, and may be used on ESPN's media platforms. Learn more.