QB Smith out indefinitely with torn ankle ligament
LEXINGTON, Ky. -- Kentucky sophomore quarterback Maxwell Smith is out indefinitely with a torn left ankle ligament that will require surgery.
Smith injured his ankle on the second play of Saturday night's 38-17 loss to South Carolina. He had missed the previous game at Florida with a separated shoulder.
Wildcats coach Joker Phillips said Monday that he will seek a medical hardship for Smith if he cannot return this season.
Whitlow relieved Smith and was 12 of 23 passing for 114 yards, running for a touchdown as Kentucky led 17-7 at halftime. He was intercepted twice and sacked six times as the Gamecocks rallied with 31 unanswered points.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Sources: Longhorns kick four more off team
- Longhorns WRs charged with sexual assault
- TCU's Fields surrenders to assault warrant
- Auburn's Marshall pays pot possession fines
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Kentucky Wildcats Grey Football Practice Legend T-Shirt