S. Illinois 17, Illinois St. 0
NORMAL, Ill. -- Anthony Thompson returned a blocked punt for a touchdown, and Southern Illinois intercepted four passes en route to a 17-0 victory against Illinois State on Saturday.
The Salukis (3-3, 2-1 Missouri Valley), who had just 182 yards of offense, recorded their first shutout since 2009.
Matt Brown was 21 of 40 for 216 yards for the Redbirds (5-1, 2-1), but all four of his interceptions thwarted drives inside the Southern Illinois 35-yard line.
The Salukis salted it away with their most sustained offense of the game, driving 91 yards in 10 plays to Mika'il McCall's 1-yard TD run midway through the fourth quarter.
Tyler Williamson had seven tackles, a sack and interception for Southern Illinois.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Texas hires search committee for new coach
- Sun Devils promote Norvell to deputy HC
- Bowling Green hires EIU's Babers as coach
- Lineman Pettway finalizes return to Alabama
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- JanSport Youth Southern Illinois Salukis Maroon Football T-Shirt