Stanford's Josh Nunes out for spring with injury
STANFORD, Calif. -- Stanford backup quarterback and former starter Josh Nunes will miss spring practices with a workout-related injury.
Cardinal coach David Shaw said Friday that Nunes injured himself in the last two weeks, calling the incident a "freak occurrence" that "shocked us." He declined to disclose the details of the injury but said Nunes will be in a sling and is expected to make a full recovery.
Nunes started the first nine games last season, including an upset over then-No. 2 Southern California. Kevin Hogan supplanted Nunes for the final five games, leading Stanford to the Pac-12 title and a Rose Bowl victory and solidifying himself as the undisputed starter.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Football playoff's 'priceless' trophy unveiled
- ESPN sets schedule for playoff selection show
- Alabama's Reed arrested, charged with DUI
- Marshall out of media days after pot citation
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Stanford Cardinal Rose Bowl Game Mascot T-Shirt