Kelly: Kiel to transfer from Notre Dame
SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- Quarterback Gunner Kiel is leaving Notre Dame without ever playing a down.
Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly announced Tuesday that the former standout from Columbus, Ind., who was one of the top-rated quarterbacks coming out of high school a year ago, plans to transfer. He was the scout team quarterback his freshman season as the Irish went 12-1 and finished the season ranked No. 4.
Kelly says Kiel was told he would be given a chance to compete for the starting job.
As a senior at Columbus East High School, he passed for 2,517 yards and 28 touchdowns. Kiel originally announced he planned to play for Indiana, then said he would attend LSU before enrolling at Notre Dame.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Source: Michigan to announce Harbaugh hire
- FSU's Winston says perception of him wrong
- Auburn's Williams to return but banned for bowl
- RB Johnson leaving Miami, will enter draft
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Harbaugh To Michigan
- Jim Harbaugh has moved on by agreeing to become Michigan's next coach a day after parting ways with the 49ers, a source told Adam Schefter.