Pittsburgh RB Rushel Shell to transfer
PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh freshman running back Rushel Shell is transferring.
Coach Paul Chryst released a statement early Tuesday saying the team's second-leading rusher a year ago will not be back for the 2013 season. Shell took a leave of absence from the Panthers last week, and after a few days consulting with his family decided to continue his college career elsewhere.
The 19-year-old rushed for 641 yards and four touchdowns last season while sharing the workload with senior Ray Graham. Shell was expected to be the primary back for the Panthers next season when they join the ACC.
Shell signed with Pitt in 2012 following a record-setting career at Hopewell (Pa.) High, where he set a state record with 9,078 career yards rushing.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Ex-Fiesta Bowl chief gets 8 months in scheme
- A&M, UCLA agree to home-and-home series
- Wife believes Sandusky 'definitely' innocent
- McCarron: Feel like I'm best QB in the draft
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- New World Graphics Men's Pitt Panthers Blue 2013 Football Schedule T-Shirt