Virginia CB Nicholson shut down for rest of season
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. -- Virginia cornerback Demetrious Nicholson will miss the rest of the season with the lingering effects of turf toe.
Coach Mike London made the announcement Monday. He says it's in Nicholson's best interests not to play.
The junior who has started 30 games in his career was injured in the third quarter of the Cavaliers' loss to Ball State on Oct. 5.
London says the injury will not require surgery, but that Nicholson is likely to wear a protective boot for several weeks.
The Cavaliers will try to end a six-game slide when they play at North Carolina on Saturday.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Auburn's Marshall cited for having marijuana
- Winston: FSU degree 'very important to me'
- ADs for Miss. State, KSU set series on Twitter
- FSU's Wilson suspended after arrest for theft
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Youth Virginia Cavaliers Blue #83 Football Game Jersey