Chargers sign injury-plagued DT Ian Scott
Scott was with Carolina in training camp but sprained his left knee on the fifth day and was later released by the Panthers.
Scott missed all of last season in Philadelphia with a knee injury.
Chargers general manager A.J. Smith didn't return a phone call seeking comment.
He was a fourth-round draft pick by Chicago in 2003 and spent three seasons with the Bears, whose defensive coordinator was Ron Rivera, now San Diego's inside linebackers coach.
In six NFL seasons, Scott has started 33 games and appeared in 49.
The Chargers released rookie cornerback DeJuan Tribble to make room on the 53-man roster. San Diego also released linebacker Eric Bakhtiari from the practice squad.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Ravens CB Smith arrested after bar incident
- Browns' Haden: Cleveland title race is on
- Report: DEA looking into NFL painkiller use
- Crabtree responds to Sherman: Tired of talk
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Great American Products San Diego Chargers 60 oz. Clear Glass Pitcher