Leinart's surgery delayed; Delhomme to be backup
The Texans (8-3) signed the 36-year-old Delhomme on Tuesday, after Matt Leinart broke his left collarbone in Sunday's 20-13 win at Jacksonville. Leinart had his scheduled surgery moved from Thursday to next Tuesday because he has an illness.
Regular starter Matt Schaub, meanwhile, rejoined his team Friday after undergoing surgery Wednesday to repair a Lisfranc injury in his right foot. Kubiak says Schaub will watch Sunday's game from the press box with offensive coordinator Rick Dennison.
Yates, a fifth-round pick, will make his first NFL start. Kellen Clemens, signed after Schaub was hurt, will be No. 3 on the depth chart.
Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Cards, CB Peterson agree to record $70M deal
- Sources: Gordon faults secondhand smoke
- Police: Cards' Abraham passed out at wheel
- Ryan on Jets' big boasts: 'It's who we are'
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Youth Home Game Jersey Houston Texans Matt Schaub #8