AP Pro32 ballot from Gosselin
Ballot and comments from AP Pro 32 panel voter Rick Gosselin of Dallas Morning News:
RICK GOSSELIN (Dallas Morning News)
1. Atlanta Falcons -- The reward for a 6-0 start is a bye week for the Falcons. This is the biggest bye week of the NFL season with six teams idle.
2. New York Giants -- The Giants are the only offense ranked in the NFL's top 5 with a winning record at 4-2. The NFL's five top offenses have a combined 13-15 record.
3. Houston Texans -- The Texans lead the NFL in time of possession at almost 35 minutes per game.
5. San Francisco 49ers -- The NFL's top-ranked defense and top-ranked rushing offense is a difficult combination to beat unless you're the New York Giants.
6. Chicago Bears -- The Bears are one of four teams coming off a bye this week along with Carolina, Jacksonville and New Orleans. Chicago has the best record of the four coming off byes at 15-8.
8. Seattle Seahawks -- The Seahawks rank fourth in the NFL in defense. The five top defenses in the NFL have a combined record of 16-11.
9. New England Patriots -- The Patriots aura in the 2000 decade allowed them to win most games by merely showing up. With losses this season to Arizona and Seattle, that's no longer the case.
13. San Diego Chargers -- The Chargers wore their powder-blue throwback uniforms Monday night. Too bad they don't wear them every game -- those AFL Chargers had the best uniforms in football.
15. Pittsburgh Steelers -- The 2-3 Steelers are trying to stay afloat in the playoff chase with their ball security. Pittsburgh has committed a league-low four turnovers this season.
16. Philadelphia Eagles -- The Eagles have only scored seven first-quarter points this season. Those slow starts seem to put Philadelphia in a hole every week, contributing to its pedestrian 3-3 start.
19. Buffalo Bills -- Ryan Fitzpatrick hasn't thrown a touchdown pass in his last two games, nor has he thrown for more than 165 yards. But the 3-3 Bills split those two games for a share of first place in the AFC East.
22. Dallas Cowboys -- The Cowboys are one of just four NFL teams that have not scored 100 points yet, which puts them in the company of the Jaguars, Panthers and Raiders. That's not the company a playoff contender wants to keep.
23. New Orleans Saints -- The bye week didn't help the Saints -- they still have the worst defense in the NFL.
24. St. Louis Rams -- The Rams are unbeaten at home but winless on the road. That all adds up to 3-3.
28. Cleveland Browns -- The Browns have already allowed 15 touchdown passes this season.
29. Oakland Raiders -- The Raiders have only four sacks this season.
30. Carolina Panthers -- Opposing quarterbacks are completing almost 70 percent of their passes against the Panthers.
31. Kansas City Chiefs -- The Chiefs lead the NFL with 21 turnovers, an average of almost four per game. You can't win in the NFL when you are continually beating yourself.
32. Jacksonville Jaguars -- The Jaguars and Chiefs are the only teams in the NFL still winless at home. Both are 0-3.
http://pro32.ap.org/poll and http://twitter.com/AP-NFL
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Report: NFL calls for immediate HGH testing
- Pack's Rodgers: Urlacher favorite opponent
- Vick says he's still NFL's fastest quarterback
- Roethlisberger challenges young quarterbacks