Jaguars sign LB Jones, release WR Armstrong
A sixth-round draft pick by the New York Giants in 2011, Jones played in all 16 regular-season games as a rookie and played in all four postseason games. He was the team's only rookie to start the season opener and was the franchise's first rookie linebacker to start on opening day since Lawrence Taylor in 1981.
Jones finished with 25 tackles in 2011. He was waived in final cuts in August.
Maybe the most interesting thing about the signing is it gives the Jaguars two players named Greg Jones.
Fullback Greg Jones has been an integral part of the team's offense since being selected in the second round of the 2004 draft.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Crabtree responds to Sherman: Tired of talk
- Jones-Drew: London deserves an NFL team
- Johnson: Lions 'need to win a Super Bowl'
- Pack hold off Favre return, afraid of booing
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Rawlings New York Giants Goal Line 8'' Softee Football