Embattled Arizona claims QB Hoyer off waivers
The Cardinals, with injuries and inconsistent play at quarterback, have lost nine in a row and are coming off a 58-0 embarrassment at Seattle.
Hoyer was with the Steelers for three weeks while Ben Roethlisberger was injured. After a standout career at Michigan State, Hoyer spent his first three NFL seasons with New England before being released by the Patriots on Aug. 31.
Hoyer takes the roster spot of center Rich Ohrnberger, who was placed on season-ending injured reserve with an injured knee.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Seahawks' Lynch plans holdout over contract
- 49ers' Smith: I've stayed sober since Sept.
- NFL suspends Ravens RB Rice for 2 games
- Romo says his best football is yet to come
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Fathead Ben Roethlisberger Wall Graphic