Battered Browns sign QB Josh Johnson
Johnson replaced safety Usama Young on the roster Wednesday as the Browns look for protection at quarterback, where starter Brandon Weeden went out with a sprained right shoulder in Cleveland's 34-12 loss in Denver on Sunday.
Young sustained a thumb injury that likely will require surgery. He joins a battered defensive backfield that is already missing T.J. Ward with a knee injury. Cornerback Sheldon Brown sustained a concussion in Denver. The club also signed defensive back Jordan Mabin to the practice squad.
Johnson played in 26 games for Tampa Bay after being a fifth-round choice in 2008. He was in San Francisco's camp this summer.
Online: http://pro32.ap.org/poll and http://twitter.com/AP-NFL
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Goodell backs Rice ban, says NFL is 'consistent'
- Sources: Lynch wanted $5M from Seahawks
- Report: Gordon hearing to continue Monday
- Cardinals' Abraham apologizes for June DUI
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Women's Home Game Jersey Cleveland Browns Brandon Weeden #3