Saints GM Loomis quietly signed 5-year extension
NEW ORLEANS -- New Orleans Saints spokesman Greg Bensel says general manager Mickey Loomis has a contract that runs through 2017.
Bensel says Loomis agreed to the deal last August but the team chose not to discuss it publicly until Monday, when the subject came up during media events connected to the Super Bowl. The game will be played in New Orleans this Sunday.
The length of Loomis' current contract mirrors that of head coach Sean Payton, who agreed to his new contract late last month. He returned to work last week after serving a full-season suspension in connection with the NFL's bounty probe of the Saints.
Loomis first joined the Saints' front office staff in 2000. He was promoted to general manager in 2002 and hired Payton in 2006.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Bengals extend Lewis' contract through '15
- Lions retain Pettigrew with 4-year contract
- Sources: Ravens keep LB Smith for $16.1M
- Titans, Woodyard agree to multiyear contract
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- The Highland Mint New Orleans Saints Merecedes-Benz Superdome Photo Mint