Packers release C Jeff Saturday
General manager Ted Thompson announced the move Monday. Saturday signed a two-year deal with the Packers as an unrestricted free agent in March 2012 after playing 13 seasons with the Indianapolis Colts. He had been the Colts' full-time starting center since 2000. He became a fan favorite, a key figure in the NFL Players Association and one of Peyton Manning's closest friends.
Saturday, a six-time Pro Bowl selection in 14 seasons, was benched as a starter with two games left in the regular season in favor of Evan Dietrich-Smith.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Broncos' Bowlen has Alzheimer's, steps down
- Belichick: Gronkowski cleared by doctors
- Falcons WR Jones cleared for training camp
- Bills' Dareus back in camp, wants to earn trust
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Photo File Denver Broncos Peyton Manning UniFrame