Bears put franchise tag on Henry Melton
In a statement Friday, General Manager Phil Emery said Melton has been a good player for the Bears and the team is using the franchise tag "so his development continues as a Bear."
Emery said the team will work with Melton to reach a multi-year agreement. The deadline for reaching a contract agreement is July 15. If an agreement isn't reached, Melton will play next season for $8.45 million.
The 26-year-old Melton was a fourth-round draft pick out of Texas in 2009. He started his Longhorn career as a running back, but moved to defensive tackle.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Broncos sign WR Sanders to 3-year deal
- Texans' Foster medically cleared to return
- Source: Giants physical for Rodgers-Cromartie
- Ex-Seahawks CB Thurmond signs with Giants
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- '47 Brand Men's Chicago Bears White Clean-Up Adjustable Hat