Senators D Cowen out 6-8 months after hip surgery
OTTAWA -- Senators defenseman Jared Cowen is out of action for six to eight months following surgery to repair a torn labrum in his left hip.
The club says the 21-year-old Cowen is expected to make a full recovery from Saturday's operation in New York.
Cowen, the No. 9 overall pick in the 2009 NHL draft, played in all 82 games last season as a rookie, scoring five goals and adding 12 assists with a minus-4 rating. He also was in the lineup for Ottawa's entire seven-game, first-round playoff matchup against the New York Rangers. Cowen had one assist and four penalty minutes in the series loss.
In three games this season for Binghamton of the AHL, while the NHL was shut down because of a lockout, Cowen had three assists.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Stars 'happy' Peverley able to visit practice
- Bruins win 7th straight for top spot in East
- Marleau, Pavelski power Sharks to SO win
- Blues stay on top with 3rd-period barrage
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Old Time Hockey Men's New York Rangers Cupertino Navy Long Sleeve Shirt