Rangers captain Callahan returns; Boyle benched
Callahan was expected to be sidelined 10 to 14 days after he dislocated his shoulder in New York's victory over Philadelphia on Jan. 29.
Instead, he was in the lineup Thursday against the New York Islanders -- nine days after he got hurt. He missed only three games, and New York went 1-2.
To make room in the lineup, Boyle was benched by Rangers coach John Tortorella. In nine games, Boyle has one assist, a minus-3 rating and 11 penalty minutes.
"I hope he's miserable tonight," Tortorella said shortly before Thursday's game. "I hope he never puts me in this position again. Brian has done squat. Other guys will be held accountable, too. We'll start here. He hasn't been good at killing penalties. He's been very inconsistent. We have a few kids up now, and that's jammed things up."
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Stars 'happy' Peverley able to visit practice
- Bruins win 7th straight for top spot in East
- Marleau, Pavelski power Sharks to SO win
- Blues stay on top with 3rd-period barrage
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Reebok Youth New York Rangers Ryan Callahan #24 Alternate Blue Replica Jersey