Devils not sending Matteau back to junior team
The Devils put the 18-year-old Matteau in the lineup for Thursday night's game against the Tampa Bay Lightning, marking his sixth game of the regular season. The decision means that the first year of his contract kicks in for this lockout-shortened 48-game season.
Matteau can still be sent down to play junior hockey, but his entry level contract is now active.
Matteau played in the first five games of the season without registering a point. He sat the past four while Devils president and general manager Lou Lamoriello made a decision on his status. He played at left wing on New Jersey's top line with Travis Zajac and Ilya Kovalchuk.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Avs goalie Varlamov has charges dropped
- Sharks star rookie Hertl likely out a month
- Gaborik breaks collarbone in 1st game back
- Predators rookie Jones hit in face with puck
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Old Time Hockey Men's New Jersey Devils Big Logo Grey Hoodie