Malkin skates with Penguins, eyes a Friday return
The reigning NHL MVP has missed Pittsburgh's last five games with an undisclosed upper body injury. He worked out by himself then joined the rest of the Penguins for a morning skate though he was ruled out for Tuesday night's game against Washington.
Malkin says he feels pretty good. He called skating with the rest of the team the next step in his rehab. He said it's been difficult to watch but is pleased with what he's seen from Pittsburgh, which has won nine straight.
The Penguins will also be without defenseman Kris Letang on Tuesday. Letang is day-to-day with a lower body injury.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Tatar agrees to 3-year deal with Red Wings
- Maple Leafs sign Winnik to 1-year contract
- Brassard, Rangers agree on five-year deal
- Bruins add NHL vet Sacco to coaching staff
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Reebok Soft-Touch Men's Pittsburgh Penguins Evgeni Malkin #71 Player Replica White T-Shirt