NHL suspends Leafs' Lupul 2 games for hit to head
The league's department of player safety issued the ruling Thursday, while Toronto prepares to play at Buffalo. The hit occurred a day earlier in the third period of Toronto's 4-2 win.
Shortly after Hedman passed the puck in the neutral zone, Lupul left his feet while lunging into Hedman from the side. Lupul's lower left shoulder struck Hedman in the side of the head.
Lupul was issued a minor penalty for the hit. Hedman returned after briefly leaving the game.
The NHL ruled further discipline was necessary because Lupul targeted Hedman's head.
The suspension will cost Lupul about $46,000 in salary.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Stars 'keep rolling,' outlast NHL-best Blues
- Stars' Peverley undergoing tests on heart
- Fleury blanks Capitals as Penguins sweep
- NHL GMs to recommend changes for faceoffs
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Party Animal Tampa Bay Lightning Applique Banner Flag