Devils G Brodeur credited with goal in return
Brodeur returned to the lineup on Thursday night. He had been out since Feb. 21 with a pinched nerve in his back and neck.
With a delayed penalty call pending against New Jersey's Marek Zidlicky, Staal passed the puck back to the point from behind the net.
The pass missed intended target Tim Gleason and bounced off the boards near center ice. Carolina goalie Dan Ellis had already skated toward the bench because of the delayed penalty and couldn't get back in time to prevent the puck from sliding into the net.
Because he was the last Devils player to touch the puck, Brodeur got credit for a power-play goal.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Avs goalie Varlamov has charges dropped
- Capitals' Ovechkin scores 400th career goal
- Vanek lifts Islanders past slumping Rangers
- Rinne's recovery from hip infection delayed
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Reebok Soft-Touch Men's New Jersey Devils Martin Brodeur #30 Player Replica Red T-Shirt