Sharks F Raffi Torres sidelined with knee injury
Torres was injured in a collision with Anaheim forward Emerson Etem on Friday night.
Torres and the Sharks will decide in the next few days whether he needs surgery. If he rehabs the injury, he might miss only the first month. If he needs surgery, he would likely be sidelined for three to four months.
The Sharks were counting on Torres to provide energy and physical play this year. His acquisition late last season provided a needed spark to the team before he was suspended for the final six playoff games for an illegal hit on Los Angeles forward Jarret Stoll.
The Sharks signed Torres to a three-year, $6 million contract in June.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Peverley gets standing ovation at Stars game
- Penguins' Neal diagnosed with concussion
- Backstrom to get silver medal despite drug test
- Lundqvist ties Richter for Rangers' win record
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Antigua Men's San Jose Sharks Teal Point Polo