Cannavaro becomes Italy's most capped player
* Cannavaro passes Maldini with 127th cap
* Records there to be beaten, says Juve defender
BASEL, Switzerland, Aug 12 - Fabio Cannavaro became Italy's most capped player when he made his 127th appearance in Wednesday's goalless draw with Switzerland in a friendly international.
The Juventus player broke the previous record he shared with Paolo Maldini as he captained the world champions in their first game of the season.
"It's a great honour for me to have reached a great athlete like Paolo Maldini, who is an example for so many young people," Cannavaro told Rai television.
"We are lucky because (wearing) the Azzurri shirt is the dream of all children. I have never thought about records, which are there to be beaten.
"It's a great honour for me to wear this shirt and a great emotion to represent Italy."
(Reporting by Brian Homewood and Paul Virgo; Editing by Kevin Fylan; to query or comment on this story email firstname.lastname@example.org)
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE SPORTS HEADLINES
- Ribery, Benzema charged with soliciting minor
- Ex-U.S. coach denies Solo's shoving allegation
- Messi, Ronaldo, Iniesta UEFA award finalists
- Kompany: Van Persie would boost any team