Williams apologizes again after rape case comments
LONDON -- Serena Williams has issued a new apology for what she called "insensitive and misinformed comments" she made about the victim in the Steubenville, Ohio, rape case.
In a Rolling Stone story posted online last week, Williams said the 16-year-old girl "shouldn't have put herself in that position."
The next day, Williams apologized in a statement. She also apologized at a news conference Sunday.
On Monday night, a day before Williams plays her first-round match at Wimbledon, she released another statement on her website, saying she also wanted to "extend an apology to the millions of sexual assault victims in America whose pain could have been compounded by my inappropriate remarks." Sexual assault, Williams wrote, "is never acceptable and never the fault of the victim."
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
MORE TENNIS HEADLINES
- French tennis federation official banned for life
- First for Federer as Swiss win Davis Cup
- Nadal criticizes captain for 'false' debate
- Nadal says he'll return to action in January