Keflezighi withdraws from NYC half marathon
NEW YORK -- Meb Keflezighi has withdrawn from the NYC Half because of a leg injury.
New York Road Runners made the announcement Tuesday, saying Keflezighi had tightness in his calves and will not compete in Sunday's half marathon.
He is scheduled to run the Boston Marathon on April 15.
The winner of the 2009 New York City Marathon says he's had "two great months of great training in San Diego," but says the setback occurred in the last week.
In 2009, New Yorkers cheered as he became the first American in 27 years to win the marathon.
Others in the field include Wilson Kipsang of Kenya and Americans Dathan Ritzenhein and Abdi Abdirahman. Bernard Lagat, holder of the U.S. indoor 2-mile record, will make his half-marathon debut.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index