Official's life ban lifted over Semenya tests

Updated: September 19, 2013, 2:53 PM ET
Associated Press

JOHANNESBURG -- A South African track official had her lifetime ban lifted for her role in Caster Semenya's gender tests.

Former Athletics South Africa board member Laraine Lane's ban was set aside Thursday by the South Gauteng High Court.

She brought her case against the South African Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee, which banned her and others on the board.

In a letter to media last month, Lane said she had been in track and field for more than 30 years before being "summarily suspended and banned" without reason by SASCOC in November 2009.

"My case is only one of many examples of SASCOC's lack of fair play," she wrote.

A psychologist, Lane said she was asked in 2009 to counsel then-teenage Semenya through contentious gender tests ahead of the world championships. After winning the 800-meter world title in Berlin in August 2009, she underwent more gender tests by the International Association of Athletics Federations in Germany.

Semenya was sidelined for almost a year while the IAAF decided whether to allow her to compete.

In the fallout, the president of South Africa's track federation and other administrators were fired for mismanagement and lying about the tests done on Semenya before she went to the worlds. Lane argued she had been unfairly punished.

"For 3 years and 10 months, I've pursued every available internal process to clear my name," she wrote in her letter before the court verdict. "Honor counts. It's a matter of principle."

SASCOC said it will consider an appeal.


Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press

This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index

Comments

Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, photo & other personal information you make public on Facebook will appear with your comment, and may be used on ESPN's media platforms. Learn more.