CLIP REEL: THE ULTIMATE CONSCIENTIOUS OBJECTOR
"War, war.. what is it good for?"
It's Conscientious Objectors' Day! No better time to honor Muhammad Ali, perhaps the greatest conscientious objector of them all. Regarding Vietnam: "War is against the teachings of the Holy Qur'an. I'm not trying to dodge the draft. We are not supposed to take part in no wars unless declared by Allah or The Messenger. We don't take part in Christian wars or wars of any unbelievers." Since it might take us all day to link up all Ali's fight highlights (he was pretty much universally voted "Sportsman of the Century" by media outlets back in 1999), we'll keep this war-related. Kind of still resonates today, really.
A roundtable discussion with sportswriters on the topic.
A long clip featuring soundbites from Ali about the war, and James Earl Jones about Ali.
Ali speaks again about the war.
Ali and Martin Luther King speak out against the Vietnam War.
A clip from a TV special on Vietnam features some good in-depth Ali footage and discussion. (There is some war footage, so be advised)
Good article on the topic.
We like this article because the first sentence is, "Muhammed Ali has attained a mythical status." 'Tis true.
Someone wrote an essay entitled "My Hero" on Ali and focused it mostly on the Vietnam angle. Pretty awesome essay.
Good look at what Ali meant to the Vietnam protest movement overall.
Another good look at it, with an exclusive video clip of Ali being interviewed years later.
Because we couldn't resist: a clip from "Ali Rap" about the situation.
This is essentially the most awesome Ali compilation clip we've ever seen. It's got fights, protests, speeches, everything. A must watch.
- NCB: Teams, systems and players to watch
- Derrick Rose on what it means to rep Chicago
- The Mag: Fashion Forward
- Harvick embraces role as Earnhardt's heir
- The unlikely backstory of NASCAR's most promising new drivers
- The Mag: How to crash
- The Mag: Athletes' kids finding prep success
- Mag: Inside the NCAA's Eligibility Center
- The Mag: The top 20 recruiters
- The Mag: The stories behind Georgia State football
- The Mag: The journey of Alexi Ogando
- Roenigk: Mark Ingram is tough to bring down
- Mag: Singletary's reshaping of Niners
- Mag: The rise of the Blackhawks
- Olney: October baseball is amazing
- The Mag: Ron Artest on himself
- The Mag: Pros share the best advice they got
- Bergeron: A look at the side careers of eight athletes
- Player X: In praise of quiet, rich owners
- Mag: Packers are best franchise in sports
- Reilly: Rocco didn't beat Tiger, but you'd think he did
- Simmons: It's hard to say goodbye to David Ortiz
- Blowing $66,000 on a College World Series game ... yeah, that qualifies as a meltdown.
- Racing needs to find a way to let drivers attempt to win both Indy and in Charlotte on the same day.
- The Gamer: Mike Swick and Rampage Jackson are avid gamers
- Bill Curry brings Georgia State football to life.
- VIDEO: Kobe Bryant's two loves
- VIDEO: Superman Dwight -- stylin' and profilin'
- VIDEO: Ricky Rubio, on the verge of superstardom